Alcohol rehab is a process used to treat the abuse use of alcohol. Alcohol Rehab or Rehabilitation process is the combination of psychotherapeutic and medical treatment. Rehab or rehabilitation, is a step-by-step process that offers addicts the knowledge, resources, and support they need to conquer their addiction and reintegrate into a healthy lifestyle.
Types of Alcohol rehab
• Outpatient alcohol rehab
During outpatient alcohol rehab patients daily go to the rehab clinic for treatment and then come back home. Outpatient alcohol rehab program allows the patients to stay their life at home with the completion of treatment.
• Inpatient alcohol rehab
Inpatient alcohol rehab is often called residential rehab. During inpatient alcohol rehab patients have to live in a rehabilitation clinic for 28 to 90 days.
Steps of alcohol rehab program
1) Patients assessment
In the first step of the alcohol rehab program, medical staff perform a physical examination, psychological screening, and perform urine tests. This step aims to understand the extent of alcohol consumption and create a program that will help you to get out of alcoholism.
2) Detoxification of alcohol
In the second step, the withdrawal of alcohol starts, after 3-5 hours of the last drink. During the detox period, patients are under the supervision of medical staff for 1 to 7 days, to ensure that there is no complication that occurs after withdrawal of alcohol. In some severe cases, seizures or DTs (delirium tremens) may occur therefore medication is given to treat seizures or DTs. But in most cases, no such complication occurs.
3) Medications that are prescribed
Currently, medication is an important tool in alcohol rehab. For some patients, alcohol withdrawal is painful and intensive. Therefore doctors prescribe medications to treat the symptoms that occur after the withdrawal of alcohol such as anxiety, sweating, muscle pain, etc.
There are some medications used in the alcohol rehab program.
- Benzodiazepines: are used as a sedative to treat anxiety.
- Acamprosate: is helpful for the brain to redevelop functions without the need for alcohol by suppressing the positive feelings that come with the drinking of alcohol.
- Naltrexone: It works similar to Acamprosate, which blocks the positive feelings that come with the consumption of alcohol
However, these medications give the best results when combined with behavioral and psychological treatments.
4) Treatment such as psychotherapy and behavioral therapy
During psychotherapy and behavioral therapy, alcohol counselors recognize the emotional and mental conditions of the patients. This is the vital step in the alcohol rehab program and it gives you future sobriety.
5) Alcohol Education
Alcohol education has a vital role in alcohol rehab it gives a goal to occupy patients’ rational minds. Education related to alcoholism provides aid in understanding the source of craving and avoid further triggers.
6) Social Services that are helpful in alcohol rehab
This is the final step in alcohol rehab, during this phase staff, assists patients in becoming more empowered by linking them with the services outside of the treatment facility to help them maintain their abstinence from alcohol and begin to build a network of supporting individuals in their lives. Child care, vocational counseling, health care, and social services are part of these services.
To know more about the treatment of alcohol abuse, You can visit cape town rehab
Some objectives of alcohol rehab
• Developing emotional sobriety so they can feel their emotions. As a result, they will lose the desire to flee from life and will be less prone to relapse.
• Overcoming the personality faults that made led to their addiction in the first place.
• Rebuilding those relationships that have been harmed by alcohol addiction.
• Finding things to do in life that are purposeful for life.
• Bringing back those things that have been lost due to addiction.
Importance of alcohol rehab centers
Alcohol rehab centers are important because alcohol consumption affects multiple aspects of patient life. Through treatment from the rehab center person can begin to develop the life they have always desired in a controlled and supported way.
According to studies, people who spend time in rehab have a higher rate of long-term abstinence. In fact, the longer you spend time in addiction support services, the more likely you are to succeed in eliminating the habit of drug addiction from your life.